Who do we serve?
The Long Island Regional Immigration Assistance Center (“LIRIAC”) is one of six regional immigration assistance centers throughout New York State funded by an innovative grant from the New York State Office of Indigent Legal Services. LIRIAC provides free resources, training, and expert advice regarding the immigration consequences of dispositions to assigned 18b criminal and family court counsel in both Nassau and Suffolk counties.
In order to serve you
For non-citizen clients in Family or Criminal Court proceedings, we will need the following information as early in the case as possible:
- Client’s name, DOB, and country of birth;
- Client’s immigration status;
- Dates of client’s initial and subsequent entries to and departures from the US;
- Copies of immigration documents, including visa, green card, work authorization, and/or approval notices;
- Information about client’s family and their immigration status/history;
- Current criminal charges, or nature of matters pending in Family Court, including any complaint;
- Any prior criminal history in New York or elsewhere;
- Any plea offer or other disposition you have received or anticipate.